In this section
- Remote Education Provision
- Recovery Curriculum
- COVID-19 Catch-Up Premium Grant 2020-2021
- KFS 16-19 Tuition Fund Statement
- Art, Design & Technology
- British Values
- Business Information Technology
- Curriculum Statement
- Careers Statement
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- House System
- Performing & Expressive Arts
- Learning Support
- Mathematics and Economics
- Personal, Social, Health & Citizenship Education (PSHCE)
- Sport, Health and Recreation
The Latin department has seen great growth in recent years and is now a very strong subject at Kingsdale Foundation School with more and more pupils taking it up at all Key Stages every year. The department is proud to be one of the highest achieving departments in the school, with over 60% of students achieving grades 7-9 since the introduction of the new GCSEs in 2018.
The Latin department uses the Cambridge Latin Course as our main course book for years 7-11. Lessons are fun and encourage pupils to learn new vocabulary and grammar through songs and games. Homework is particularly important if what has been practised in class is to be remembered over a longer period of time. Homework is set every lesson and consists of either a translation task or a learning exercise. A vocabulary list is available for each module to help with homework and we recommend that pupils also use websites such as www.cambridgescp.com, and www.memrise.com to support their learning at home.
From the start of year 7 pupils follow the Cambridge Latin Course where we meet Caecilius and his family and learn about life in Pompeii in AD79 through a variety of Latin texts. By the end of KS3 pupils will be able to recognise and translate three tenses and three cases.
At KS4 pupils continue to follow the Cambridge Latin Course and in addition to being introduced to more complex language, Latin prose and poetry, they also learn about life across the Roman Empire. Pupils are able to complete both the GCSE in Latin and the Level 1 and Level 2 Certificate in Latin Language and Roman Civilisation.
A variety of trips support pupils in their learning. We have run regular trips to Pompeii and Rome. The department has also just introduced GCSE Classical Civilisation and we are planning further trips to Greece.
For further information, please contact Miss Evans, Head of Languages via email@example.com
Please find below full details relating to the Latin curriulum for Years 7 to 13.
- Latin Year 7 Vocab and Grammar
- Latin Year 7 Reading List
- Latin Year 8 Vocab and Grammar
- Latin Year 8 Reading List
- Latin Year 9 Vocab
- Latin Year 9 Reading List
- Year 10 Latin Core Grammar List
- Latin Year 10 Reading List
- Latin Year 11 Reading List
- Latin Year 12 Reading List
- Latin Year 13 Reading List
- KS3 Curriculum Map Latin
- KS4 Curriculum Map Latin
- KS5 Curriculum Map Latin
- Curriculum Map Online Resources Latin